Looking to make your garden safer and more attractive? A user-friendly space for all the family to enjoy? Then have you considered using glass balustrades?
If you’ve previously written glass off as a bad idea, you’re not the first. After all, glass balustrades and young children, flying footballs or frail elderly aren’t a good mix, right?
Thanks to the development of special safety glass, using glass in the garden isn’t just a good idea – it’s a great one. And here’s why.
Advantages of using glass balustrades in the garden
· Glass balustrades can boost safety
…And relax. The biggest concern many people have about overusing glass in the garden is safety, but there’s no need to worry.
Made from specially designed toughened safety glass, glass balustrades are strong and durable – capable of withstanding anything your garden (and its inhabitants!) have to throw at it.
In fact, glass balustrades can actually be used to enhance safety levels. They are great for:
- Poolside: protect your pool area without spoiling the look and encase the water with frameless glass balustrades. Thanks to their ‘barely there’ appearance, you can still enjoy the look of your pool – and keep a watchful eye on swimmers – without running the risk of anyone accidentally falling in.
- Ponds: water features are a big hit in gardens but with drowning the number 1 cause of death in children between the ages of 1 and 4, many families with young children feel compelled to fill them in.
But there is an alternative. Use glass balustrades to form a protective barrier and you can create a safe and secure outside space for children to run freely without losing your pond.
- Steeps edges: hillside property? Is your garden on an incline? If there are steep edges that could pose a threat without proper care and attention, why not barricade them off?
By using glass balustrades to protect against drop-offs and sharp edges, you don’t need to detract from the view or make your garden feel enclosed to enhance safety.
- Raised decking: is your decking elevated? Raised decking is a great idea and can really help to make the area a feature – but the resulting height makes fitting balustrades essential to prevent nasty falls.
If you’re worried this will make the deck feel enclosed or cramped, then glass is a great option. Glass balustrades will allow light to flow freely and won’t spoil the view – but will keep everyone safe!
· They look great
Sleek, contemporary, and minimalist, glass balustrades look great without dominating the space, allowing your garden to do all the talking.
If you’re worried that they’ll scratch, or weather badly, then you’ll be pleased to hear there’s no need for concern. Yes, glass can show marks, dirt, and the mucky fingers of children, but it’s also incredibly quick and easy to clean. A quick wipe over is all that will be necessary to instantly restore your glass balustrades and keep them looking as good as the day they were first fitted.
· You’ll reduce your chores list
If the whole point of your garden improvements is to make a more family-friendly space, the last thing you want is to never have time to enjoy it together.
Switching to glass balustrades over alternatives such as wood, will dramatically reduce your list of maintenance tasks – no painting, no sanding, no applying wood treatments and no fixing easily broken panels. Leaving you to simply sit back and enjoy.
· You can create more privacy
Opening up the view is one thing, but what happens if you prefer to keep things a little more private?
Well, the good news is you can! Our glass balustrades are available in clear or opaque glass, giving you the option of keeping areas a little more secluded should you wish.
How reliable is safety glass?
The quick answer is – very.
Specially treated to increase impact resistance, wayward balls and heavy-handed kids will be no match for glass balustrades made from toughened safety glass.
And should the worst happen and a glass balustrade does break, it will break safely. Meaning it will shatter into tiny fragments rather than large, dangerous shards.
To find out more about the safety of glass balustrades, check out our previous blog on the topic.
Start benefiting from glass balustrades
Relax about safety and enjoy the view with glass balustrades.
If you’re ready to enhance the look and safety of your garden, then get in touch.
Vastly experienced in creating bespoke glass balustrades, we can supply and install glass balustrade systems for gardens of all shapes and sizes. Use our balustrade builder now for a personalised quote or call the team on 01489 583371.