So you love the look of glass balustrades, with their modern, ‘barely there’ appearance and ability to create a virtually invisible safety barrier. But one thing is holding you back. The price tag.
We get it. At Square 1, there’s not much we don’t know about balustrades and we understand people’s hesitation when it comes to investing. But we also know that, thanks to our competitive prices, there’s no need to worry about paying over the odds and that glass actually offers a first-rate alternative.
Whilst there’s no point in us pretending glass balustrades don’t initially cost more than using other materials such as steel or wood, what we can tell you is that – when you delve a little deeper – the difference may not be as great as you think. And that glass can often turn out to be the more cost-effective option.
Intrigued? Read on to find out more…
How much does a glass balustrade cost?
Let’s start with the obvious question first. How much actually is a glass balustrade? Unfortunately, there really is no one straight answer to this as prices vary widely depending on a number of factors, such as:
- The size of your balustrade
- The width of glass you need
- Your frame choice – steel, wire, frameless
- Your chosen glass – toughened glass or laminated glass
How can a glass balustrade save you money?
Ok, so we know the initial outlay for glass can be more expensive but what about after that? Can glass prove its worth over time?
Let’s take a look at just of few of the long-term cost advantages glass balustrades can offer:
- Low maintenance – unlike materials such as wood, glass involves minimal maintenance, requiring no expensive treatments or repainting. A simple clean every now and again with a basic glass cleaner is all that is needed to keep it looking its best.
- Durability – we offer toughened glass and toughened and laminated glass. Both are manufactured in accordance with BS EN 12600:2002 and offer exceptional safety and durability.
- Long-lasting – using glass balustrades outside? Think of the upkeep required to ensure a material like wood not only lasts but remains in a safe, useable condition. Unlike wood, glass isn’t susceptible to the elements and won’t rot or rust, meaning that it can last a lifetime…and you barely need to lift a finger!
- Spend less on lighting – opening up your hall, stairs and landing with glass balustrades allows light to flow more freely about your home. With more daylight, there will be less need to flick on the electric lights as frequently, which will result in you saving money on your energy bills (and help you do your bit for the environment too!).
- Keep it small – who needs the expense of a larger house or garden when can you just make the one you already have feel bigger? Using glass promotes a feeling of space and, particularly when used in the garden, it can allow you to maximise and elongate the view you have, giving the impression of more room and preventing a feeling of being ‘boxed in’.
- Add value to your property – using glass to open up your property creates a more modern, spacious and open plan feel. All highly desirable qualities which can add value to your home and make it more attractive to future buyers should you ever wish to sell.
Good looks and cost savings aside, it’s essential to always put safety first. And, with a reputable supplier like Square 1, you are guaranteed to get exactly that. We pride ourselves on offering fantastic products at competitive prices, but we will never compromise on quality.
We firmly believe glass balustrades are worth every penny and hope this blog has allayed any of your concerns. But if you do still have reservations or questions, we’d be happy to chat them through with you. For this, or for a quote for your next project, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the team.